Thursday, February 6, 2014

Aqua Tray Update How to Fix a Crack in a Tray

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
When I made covered buttons for the headboard, I decided to use the aqua tray for a hard surface while assembling the buttons, bad idea ... it broke on the very first button. So this week I finally got around to fixing it!



I found paper at World Market on clearance for $1.98, and decided to paint the red with liquid gold leaf


I then cut a circle (tracing the tray) and used a little spray adhesive to adhere the paper to the tray


I used the resin that I purchased for the folded rope light fixture, but never used ...


Following the instructions, I mixed equal parts of the resin and hardener (purchased at Michaels). I used 1/4 of the bottle, which is about 1 square foot of coverage. I poured it in the tray and tilted the tray around gradually until there was even coverage. Waited a few minutes and then exhaled (being careful not to inhale any in) to remove the bubbles that had been creating during mixing.

It was dry to the touch overnight, but for a hard cure I have to wait about 72 hours.

And that was it, a super easy update/fix for my aqua tray in under an hour! 




I love the super glossy finish! Have you used resin on anything recently?

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment