Monday, February 10, 2014

Dresser Renovation

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Before we moved to CA we sold a good bit of our furniture, so we are now in the process of figuring out what we need and purchasing as we find it.

Our new place is larger than the last, but we traded our closet space for a second bedroom. Moving from a walk in closet to small wall closet left me lacking storage space

... a few weeks ago I found this great find on craigslist for $20!!!


Storage ... check
Solid wood and construction ... check
Small size (my bedroom is tiny) ... check
Dual purpose for my night stand ... check

After removing hardware, sanding, filling in dimples and original holes for hardware with wood filler

New holes for hardware were drilled, a diluted coat of primer applied, and a quick sanding were done. I used two coats of Sherwin Williams Pro Classic paint, which is a super durable latex paint that dries like a oil based enamel. Since the paint is THICK I added XIM extender to reduce brush strokes.


I decided on a custom mix between Sherwin Williams Silverplate and Ellie Gray. I also swapped the original hardware for this from anthropologie. Lamp shade from Target available in stores, basket on clearance at Target, art made by me
What I learned:
1. using quality materials will save time and prevent you from pulling out your hair - for paint brushes I used Purdy Clearcut glide 2.5" and 1.5". Paying a little more upfront is worth it, it results in smoother brush strokes and if taken care of will last. After using a paint and primer in one I knew that I would never do that again ... so I used this primer and paint more expensive but worth it because it is super durable.

2. Selecting a gray can be tricky: make sure to look at the paint chip in the room that it will be used in and hold it up with other grays to compare. I selected one that was way too green at first even after looking at it in the room because I didnt compare it to other paint chips!

3. Make sure that the paint isnt too thick, or it will leave brush marks. Using a paint extender will extend the drying time and level out brush marks.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the finished product and looking forward to finishing the room!




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment